Category:Knights of the Hymn
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Knights of the Hymn
Tradition Origins: As the surge towards knight-traditions grew, the Chosen Prophet of Daeus became concerned at their methods. Thus, the Order of the Hymn was born. The Altheans were said to have also pushed hard for the order, and the newly-formed Serrielites found it a natural fit. Other temples followed suit.
Though not paladins, most cavaliers of this tradition are good-aligned and serve within one Temple or the other.
- Tradition Edicts: The cavalier must strive to protect the faith and all those who follow its teachings, from priest to common man. He must adhere to the strictures of the faith, promote its cause whenever possible, and serve the agents of the divine.
- Challenge: Whenever an order of the hymn cavalier issues a challenge, he receives a +1 morale bonus on all his saving throws as long as he is threatening the target of his challenge. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses.
- Skills: An order of the hymn cavalier adds Heal (Wis) and Knowledge (religion) (Int) to his list of class skills. An order of the hymn cavalier can make Knowledge (religion) skill checks untrained. If he has ranks in the skill, he receives a bonus on the check equal to 1/2 his cavalier level (minimum +1) as long as the check involves his chosen faith.
- Order Abilities: An order of the hymn cavalier gains the following abilities as he increases in level.
- Calling (Ex): At 2nd level, the cavalier can make a short prayer as a standard action, filling him with confidence in his abilities. At any point in the next minute, he can receive a competence bonus on an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check equal to his Charisma modifier. He must declare that he is using this bonus before the roll is made. He can use this ability up to four times per day, once for each type of check or roll. In addition, the cavalier adds 1/2 his cavalier level to any levels of paladin or cleric he might possess for the purposes of determining the effects of channel energy or lay on hands.
- For the Faith (Ex): At 8th level, the cavalier can call upon his faith to bolster himself in combat. As a free action, the cavalier can call out the name of his deity, granting him a morale bonus on attack rolls equal to his Charisma modifier for 1 round. In addition, any allies within 30 feet that share his faith also receive half this bonus (minimum +1). The cavalier can use this ability once per day, plus one additional time per day at 12th level and every four levels thereafter.
- Retribution (Ex): At 15th level, the cavalier can take retribution on those who dare to strike an agent of his faith. Whenever an enemy makes a successful melee attack against the cavalier or an adjacent ally devoted to the same faith as the cavalier, the enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from the cavalier. The cavalier receives a +2 morale bonus on the attack of opportunity. If the attack made by the enemy was a critical hit, the cavalier may treat the enemy as the target of his challenge for the attack of opportunity. The cavalier can use this ability once per round.
This category currently contains no pages or media.